On The Loose

A compendium of the travels and tribulations of an itinerant retiree

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, Left Coast

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Home Sweet Home

Home again!  I am sooo happy to be home.

The journey home went smoothly, if not swiftly. I'm pretty much settled back in. I even have one suitcase unpacked! Not bad for me- that puts me approximately 3 weeks ahead of my usual unpacking schedule. One must not be too rash, you know.

I know I should have posted this sooner. I apologize for not doing so, but I've been decompressing. I'm sitting here typing this now because I have an extra hour before church. Seems I forgot to reset my alarm clock for the end of daylight time. Am I the only one who thinks DST is a pain in the butt?

Psychologically, I've been on vacation these last weeks and now it's the weekend. So when does it start feeling like I'm retired? Maybe when I don't go into work on monday I'll begin to adjust to the idea. I don't think it'll be too difficult.

Let me tell you about a brief but very pleasant meeting I had. Back on Tuesday, when I was in the hotel lobby sending off my blog entry from the little internet booth, I heard a woman speaking in an American accent. That was the first time I'd heard that in weeks! Sounded like music to my American english starved ears. (I 'm surprised how few Yanks there were traveling in India.) So, I introduced myself and asked where she was from. Originally, Miami, but she'd been living in Toronto. Her name is Elizabeth and she'd arrived a few days ago and was on her way to northern India. She had just checked-out of the hotel and was waiting for her group to meet before their bus ride to their final destination. They were going to a Buddhist monastery for a spiritual retreat. We talked about that and I told her about my journey and we discussed spirituality briefly. I mentioned I was interested in Buddhism and was planning on learning more when I returned home. She said she had a book that I might like and dashed off. She returned in a few minutes with a little book oddly entitled 'What Makes You Not A Budhist' and gave it to me. I read half of it on the way home and found it very informative. Thank you, Elizabeth, for your generosity. I am totally enjoying the book. Have a great trip. I hope your retreat is a very rewarding experience.

Like I said earlier, you meet the most interesting people on the road.

In case you're wondering, I never got to go to the circus With Mahesh and his family. He got reassigned and I didn't hear back from him. Too bad.

BTW, I promise to try to put up the last of my pictures later today.

Well folks, that pretty much wraps up this account of my Indian adventure. I have really enjoyed sharing with all of you and to be honest, I might not have kept it going if it weren't for your kind encouragement. I am humbled and flattered that you found my words interesting enough to take the time to read. Thank you.

Good bye for now, my friends.

Rick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home