On The Loose

A compendium of the travels and tribulations of an itinerant retiree

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, Left Coast

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Random Stuff


So, today I'm sitting in front of my hotel here in Badami just watching the world go by and this old man walks up to be and asks in broken english "How is India for you, sir?" I say I love it. He says "How are the India people for you, Sir?" I say they are very kind. He says "How is the climate for you?" I say its hot. He says "How are your meals?" I say delicious and rub my stomach. He says "Thank you very much, sir", snaps me a salute and ambles off.

Then, two familiar faces 'get down' (as they say here) off the bus and into my hotel! Took me a moment to place them, but then it came to me. While having dinner back in Matheran, these two Brittish ladies were seated at the table next to me. We had exchanged pleasantries.

Later, as I was debating where to have lunch, they came into the lobby, so I asked them if they would like to join me. It was a good opportunity for me to practice my english, which is getting rusty. They accepted and we went into the hotel's 'restaurant'. I ordered a (giant) bottle of Kingfisher beer and a thali- you know, one of those big silver platters with all the little silver bowls on it? They each had grilled sandwiches and lemon sodas and deserts. Being the big spender that I am, I sprang for the tab- Rs250 ($4.89), including tip. What a guy.

The food is as incredibly inexpensive here as it is delicious. For example, this morning for breakfast, I had two idles (kind of a rice dumpling) and a vadai (a spiced doughnut sort of thing) with spicy sauces to put on them and a glass of chai for Rs26 ($.59). I hope they don't figure out how cheap this is and raise their prices!

India is famous for it's spices. Some of which we, in the USA, have hardly even heard of. And each spice can be prepared in a number of ways, depending on the desired flavor. This they do fresh at mealtime. Then they blend the spices together and create concoctions that send my taste buds into spasms of ectasy. I know I'm going off the deep end here, but I can't help it. BTW, Christopher Columbus might never have found America if he hadn't been looking for a fast way to India's black pepper market, so I'm not the only one.

Here are some random tidbits I found interesting:
Peanuts are called monkey nuts. Not sure if thats an anatomical reference. More research needs to be done.
Cats are considered bad luck if they cross your path. If one does, you have to wait for some fool to go ahead of you first so he absorbs the bad luck and not you.
Indian toilet paper could probably give a rhino a rash.
You don't dim your high beams, nor do you insert your ATM card, you dip them.
A banana costs one rupee. About 2 cents.
They drive on the wrong side of the road, like in England.
Electric light switches can be found just about anywhere in a room except next to the doorway.
When you look into a toilet on a train, you see daylight.
Drivers tuck-in the sideview mirrors on their cars. Yeah, they get that close to each other.
In addition to "Coke" and "OK", another universal phrase is "oh shit".
Road sign across the street from a hospital: "Hospital ceilings are boring. Drive carefully".
If someone comes up to you and hands you a baby and runs, you just became a parent.

I want to thank everyone who has emailed me and offered their positive comments concerning my musings, especially since doing so calls into question your taste in prose. Keep those cards and letters comming.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings and salivations Rick! You appear none for the worse since we "ran" away from you in Delhi; quite the contrary, you are growing spiritually and intellectually in an exponential rate the longer you remain in the enchanting land of India. Although, metaphysically speaking, all descriptive adjectives are judgments, do realize that you are totally exonerated from any/all Karmic debt from your useage of such words, simply because your readers would have great difficulty relating to your experiences without the use of them. So...apply them liberally, friend! A great writer and photographer you are; we have enjoyed tripping with you. --Om Shanti.
p.s. We are still processing.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are loving your tales through India. Keep them coming. Nancy

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home